If you are at work when disaster strikes you will need a workplace emergency kit containing supplies sufficient to help you to deal with a disaster while staying put at your office, factory, job site, or other place of work, or to make your way back home or to another place of safety.
Place these emergency supplies in a bag that is easy to grab and carry, such as a light-weight duffel bag or backpack.
This kit should include food and water, and clothing that will be comfortable and protect you from the elements. Prepare for heat, rain, and cold to the degree that your local climate warrants. A pair of comfortable walking shoes and socks may be very important if you have to evacuate the area on foot.
You may find that this workplace emergency kit duplicates most of the items in your Vehicle Emergency Kit, so you may want just to rely on that kit and not make another.
Remember that you may not always have your vehicle (and the vehicle emergency kit) with you, or your vehicle may be damaged or out of reach due to the disaster. In that event you will be glad that you have another workplace emergency kit in your place of work.
Your Workplace Emergency Kit should include:
- First-Aid Kit
- Necessary medications,
- Fully charged cell phone and charger,
- Paper and pens/pencils,
- Coat or warm jacket,
- Hand warmers or instant hot packs,
- Hat for cold or hot weather protection,
- Gloves for warmth or protection from debris,
- Umbrella for shelter from rain or sun,
- Comfortable walking shoes and extra socks.
Food and Water:
- Commercially bottled water, one gallon per day per person,
- Food items containing protein such as nuts and energy bars,
- Canned foods,
- Manually operated can opener,
- Disposable plates or bowls, cups, and utensils,
- View the Food and Water for Emergencies page for more information and suggestions.
- Mirror or other signaling device,
- Glow sticks,
- Flashlights and extra batteries,
- Battery-operated AM/FM radio with extra batteries (for traffic reports and emergency messages,)
- Lightweight emergency blanket,
- Sleeping bag.
Below is the video “workplace emergency kit“: